Friday, July 8, 2011

Author Interview: Andrea Buginsky





When did you first realize you wanted to become a writer? In college, just as I was finishing up my AA degree. I couldn’t continue in the field of study I chose (medicine) because I was not doing well in the math and science courses. When I was trying to figure out what I was going to do instead, my sister said “you like to write. Why don’t you do that?” The light bulb went off, and I decided to continue on for a BA in Journalism, which I earned in 2007. After working as a freelance writer from home writing various web content articles, I decided to try my hand at a book, and “The Chosen” was born.

When did you write your first book and how old were you? “The Chosen” is my first completed book. I was 32 when I started writing it. The first book I started writing, which isn’t finished, was an adult romance novel that I started while I was still in school (10+ years ago), in my 20s.

How many books have you written? Which one is your favorite? So far, I have written two books that are completed, two that are unfinished, and one that is just starting. “The Chosen” is my favorite so far because it’s my first baby.

What is your work schedule like when you’re writing? I don’t have a typical work schedule because of my disability. I have days, and sometimes weeks, where I’m tired or don’t feel well and need complete rest. Other days, I can sit at my desk and type away. Still others, I’ll sit at my desk and tap my fingers trying to decide what comes next in the story. It all depends on how I’m feeling, and where my muse is.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? I do NOT like to read out loud. I hear about writers who will record their stories first, or at least read their passages for the day out loud. I can’t stand doing this. I prefer to read in my head. Therefore, I ask friends/family to look over my work for mistakes my eyes will miss.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? Books I’ve read, movies I’ve seen and games I’ve played. I’ll take other stories, or parts of other stories, and create my own characters, places and events that are based on that idea. As I’m working, the ideas grow into my own creations.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing? Read, watch television and watch movies. I’m a huge coach potato!

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books? That I’m better at writer for YA (young adult). I always loved reading Danielle Steel, and thought I’d be good at writing romance novels. But I’m much better at writing for a younger audience. I don’t know why this surprises me, because I’m a big kid.

What do you think makes a good story? One that has characters the reader can love, other characters the reader can love to hate, places they want to visit, a bit of adventure, maybe a little romance and a great ending.

Do you have any suggestions to help someone become a better writer? Just start! Don’t worry about how it sounds when you begin. Just write what comes to mind and get it all out. Then go back and start cleaning it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment