Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Guest Interview: Angela Burke





Tell us a little about what inspired you to write LUCIDITY?

I am lucky enough to live in the Colorado mountains and it is this majestic setting, along with my love for old, historic lodges, that inspired my novel. I also felt a need to write a story that would offer a source of comfort to those who have suffered any type of loss in their lives. LUCIDITY has many spiritual themes.

What are you currently working on?

I am currently working on a romantic suspense set in Riviera Maya, Mexico and the vast plains of Nebraska.

Where do you hope to be in 5 years?

Somewhere warm. I love the mountains where I live, but ten months of snow defines the term “cabin fever”. Hopefully I will be writing in the sunshine in 5 years.

Do you have any advice for new or aspiring authors?

I am a new author myself, but my best piece of advice is to simply keep writing! Don’t quit if you get rejection letters. Listen to any advice or critique given to make your writing stronger and keep after it.


On the fun side, what is your favorite television show and why?

I am a huge LOST fan, and although the show is no longer on television, I have all of the DVD’s. I love LOST because of the characters, the clever weaving of themes and symbolism, and the many spiritual aspects of the show.


Where can readers find you:
Website: http://www.angelaburkebooks.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/angelaburkebooks
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4870399.Angela_Burke
Manic Readers: http://www.manicreaders.com/AngelaVBurke/


What is your work schedule like when you’re writing?

Because I have three kids, ages 1, 4, and 9, I don’t have the luxury of writing whenever I feel like it. I typically write five nights a week, but I am always daydreaming up ideas.


What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I tend to write the end of my books first. I see the last scene in my head and then backfill the plot. I’ve had to learn to sequence my ideas in a logical order because I am a whole-to-part thinker. I definitely see the forest before I see the trees.


Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

I think it is important to allow time for intuitive processing and letting thoughts incubate. I rarely get my ideas by “trying” to think - rather I will get spurts of so-called brilliance when I least expect it. I am an avid runner and this is a great avenue for channeling my thoughts. Music can also be a great source of inspiration.


What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

When I’m not running after my three children, I enjoy hiking, skiing, running, playing the piano, and simply daydreaming.


What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

I was surprised at how much I enjoy writing dialogue. It is my favorite part of writing a story because I can really get inside my characters’ heads and figure out what they’re thinking and feeling.


What do you think makes a good story?

A story that makes you reflect deeply and that you wake up thinking about is a good one.


Do you have any suggestions to help someone become a better writer?

My number one suggestion is to write – a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment