Sunday, May 9, 2010

KAREN LEWIS

Author Interview

Karen Lewis


 

1. When did you first realize you wanted to become a writer?

I always did. Books fascinated me. I loved reading. The world of make believe beckoned.


 

2. When did you write your first book and how old were you?

My first story, flash fiction about an antique shop, was published when I was in my early teens.


 

3. How many books have you written? Which one is your favorite?

Dozens. Mostly featuring fictional detective, Neil Slater, and based on real cases. I don't know that I have a favourite, but probably Fiend. It's a suspense thriller about a serial killer.



 

4. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

Quite hectic. Everything has to wait.


 

5. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I spend a lot of time creating names for my characters. Sometimes I change them several times before they feel just right.


 

6. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

Often from news stories. Something that has human interest appeal and captures the imagination.


 

7. What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Go for long walks, catch up on the house work, and shop.


 

8. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

The writer isn't in complete control. When the Muse kicks in, the characters take on a life and will of their own.


 

9. What do you think makes a good story?

Characters and situations that are believable, and that the reader can relate to and empathise with.



 

10. Do you have any suggestions to help someone become a better writer?

Read books by authors you admire, and write as much as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment